9.11.2007

CCD Cause Found?

It's out, though it's not conclusive. Colony Collapse disorder has been linked to Israeli Acute Paralysis Virus. While it is probably not the only cause, it has been found in affected hives. More study is on the horizon in continued research about this. More information can be found here.

Today was my second day this week playing with bees. It's been good for my heart in more ways than the mild aerobic workout I invariably enjoy. I spent most of yesterday with our state inspector who my eleven hives a thumbs up and good bill of health. We found one to be queenless which was remedied by giving them young brood to grow a new queen. Then today someone gave me a small swarm which I'll merge with the same hive. Either way they'll have a queen.

Today was spent teaching with fellow beekeepers at Landmark Park. It was a lot of fun as usual and our new teaching tools were a great help.

No comments: