6.03.2008

Waving at Thunderclouds

I just heard the most beautiful sound I've heard in weeks - THUNDER! It's been another long dry spring and for the second year in a row the bees haven't made their normal quota of honey. There's probably a spiritual lesson in there somewhere but as it is my poor brain hasn't quite figured it out.

Suffice it to say I'm thrilled. If I thought it would do any good I'd go out like the hungry children in third world countries and wave like they do to the approaching cargo plane carrying humanitarian aid. I doubt the clouds would pay attention though, and I'd probably get struck by lightening.

I've spent a good part of my life playing it safe. As a mom I was constantly teaching my kids safety. Don't play with matches (Brian!), don't hang from the rafters (Mike!), don't make three point turns in curves or go wandering off in the woods (Cindy!) and don't talk to strangers (Becky!). These words of widsom were addressed to the issues I knew about (emphasis on the italics). It's the issues I didn't know about that leave me shaking my head and thanking God for watching their backs when neither their dad nor I were around to do so.

I think in adult life each of them have had the pleasure of dealing with their own unique "mom" warnings. I've lost track of the cars that have burned to toast in Brian's care. Mike got his lesson early on with a nasty compound fracture. Cindy . . . well she still drives like a mad woman and camps by herself, and I think Becky has decided that she should only witness to women or children.

Now that they're all grown however I'm cautiously learning to throw caution to the wind. Maybe the bees have helped with that. I mean after all, learning to shrug off a few stings is something of an accomplishment. I didn't worry about sunburn or what the neighbors would think wearing a tank top all day Saturday. Lila still accompanies me but I rarely give her any thought. I crave to ride the horses again. I want to go on the next family excursion to Norway or Kuwait.

Coming close to death may have something to do with it too. It's been a year and a half now.

But whatever the case, I know my days are numbered, and only God knows what that number is. That being the case I'm hanging on to something I heard, that I'm invincible as long as I'm in His service and care. That's cool. So I think I'll go out and wave at the clouds. Maybe God will see me and let some of that wet stuff fall.

2 comments:

Brian said...

For the record, there was only one burnt car (It was french). But then there was a car with a thrown rod, one that died a sputtering painful death, and one that I was lucky enough to sell before it suffered an equally spectacular demise.

Ros Horton said...

I stand corrected!