8.15.2008

Dad and the Full Moon

My father was a man of the outdoors - he could tell what the weather would be like by the sky or the way the leaves curled on a tree. He could tell from the way animals behaved in the late summer what kind of winter to expect.

I should not be surprised that the same kind of knowledge is carrying him to his final resting place.

I found out this morning that by brother in law, some cousins and the neighbor boys he hunted with went up to the church last night and dug dad's grave. It was a precious, fitting tribute.

And it brought what was to me, a bit bizzare, bit of additional folklore - there won't be enough dirt to fill the hole.

Apparently it has something to do with last night's full moon and the earth's gravitational pull. I googled it and found various explanations . (By the way - DO NOT google "grave digging" or "dig grave" and "full moon" in the same search!)

Whatever the case, I learned something from my dad, again.

No comments: