2.19.2013

The Zombies Are Here. Seriously.

I don't like zombies.  There's something about the undead that doesn't set well with me.  Never has. Maybe it was too much exposure to rotting flesh when I was a kid.  If you've been around hunting/fishing/farming/road kill or dead mice, you know what I mean. Whether in literature, culture or costume they just  bother me.

I have tolerated a bit.  Some of the family likes Walking Dead. I managed an episode or two before grossing out.  One adult child participated in a zombie walk . .  in full costume.  I had to admit the costume was creative, albeit creepy.

It recently hit me why.

We are all zombies.



Yeah, I know that's ridiculous.  After all we're all alive, functional, and civilized.  Most of the time anyway.

But really, we ARE all zombies.  We're born that way.

You see, in God's eyes, the sin we are born into and give no thought to every day is every bit as filthy, disgusting and sickening as the rot and decay in the stories. Scripture calls it being dead in trespasses and sins. We are all prone to pride, unbelief, envy, hatred, lust, etc., and while we think we've got it handled with these polite masks of propriety, God sees our hearts as the nasty spiritual filth it really is.  And he doesn't allow it into His home (heaven) just like none of us would bring a rotting corpse into our homes.

I'm thankful for my Savior today.  His sacrifice made it possible for this dead person to live.  Pretty miraculous stuff - making a dead person live -  but that's Who He is.  That's what He delights to do.  It's why we need Him.

No comments: