9.20.2014

Love and Adoption

Now that I've got my "day after getting home" madness out of the way and have had some quiet moments to reflect on the last week's events, I'm finding a lot to ponder.

I spent the best part of the week with my 2nd grandchild who is even at her very tender age an amazing child on so many levels.  And I fell in love again.  I fell in with her older cousin a year ago at her birth and it's just got worse at every visit since.  Last week I fell in love with EJ.  I can't say enough about how sweet and squishy and adorable this big eyed little bundle of energy is.



It was different with EJ.  She came to us by adoption and was several months old when she arrived at her permanent home.  We knew for several years that "some day" there would be an adoptive child. And we loved and prayed for this child, knowing he/she may not even be born yet.  So getting to know EJ wasn't exactly at ground zero. This little person had to get used to me and come to trust me before she would laugh at my fish lip kisses or raspberries on the tummy.  We were just getting to be good friends when I had to leave.  It was hard.  Really, really hard.

All that being said, I have to confess to a new appreciation for the love of my God as well.  It makes so much more sense now about His great heart that He sacrificed so much so I could be adopted into His family.  Like EJ, my original situation was most dangerous.  Like EJ, I was sick.  And I was different than Him.  None of that mattered.  He accepted me and just like EJ will always be a Horton, I will always be a child of God.

It's doubtful our new granddaughter will ever look like either of her new parents, but there's no doubt she will take on many of their fine qualities and mannerisms.  They will raise her to be the respectful, responsible, resourceful and creative person God intends her to be.

I take comfort that God is doing the same with me, that in His love and kindness, even in this stage of life He's still leading me to be the person I'm supposed to be.  He remains the best Parent ever.

No comments: