11.17.2007

Mama Roz's Economic Indicators

This week Starbuck's reported a loss of sales and now it seems the whole country is in a panic because a decline in latte sales means the nation's economy is in trouble.

What????

Seriously! Starbucks was one of our country's great success stories. Some guy started a coffee chain, gave the sizes funky names, provided a lot of options, decorated the places kind of funky, provided wi-fi and made a fortune. It was "the" safe trendy place for the young and young at heart to drive through or hang out. Lord knows my own kids have contributed to their bottom line. And I'm glad of it. Starbucks or a club? Starbucks, any day!

But as a non-Starbucks person, I have my own economic indicators. Four years ago it was the observation that people were selling items they had spent years collecting on eBay. More recently it's been that lease and finance companies have lowered themselves to making cold calls they're so desperate for business. My dh and I have always kept an eye on the trucking sector of the economy. They've had to operate leaner and meaner for some time to survive. For the companies who finance them to beg for business screams that the same otc companies aren't buying. Is it any wonder with the outrageous price increases in steel?

Today I had a show in Georgia. I sell several of my honey products, candles and other bee related items. Last year it was quite successful. This year . . . well, it didn't do so well. I've not counted sales yes, but I figure I'll do good to break even. Part of it had to do with the weather, part of it had to do with having a booth stuck in a bad location, but a most of it was that people just weren't buying. I take that back . . . I saw a lot of women buying frivolous overpriced items in trendy colors and styles. Sigh . . . maybe I need to be looking at priority indicators.

But that's life. I met some nice folks and made some promising business contacts. It may even out, it may not. But we had fun, that's for sure, and if nothing else I didn't have to stand in a long line for the Corn Dog Man.

No comments: