11.02.2007

Since I had to write a report for our local beekeeping newsletter I'm giving it double duty by republishing it here. The event took place one week ago today and what I didn't mention was that I taught one of the workshops. My topic was Teacher's Toolbox and it was basically sharing ideas for people to talk to groups about bees. I was the only regular club member from our area. One of the state inspectors let me ride up with him (thank you Randy!) and Rachel brought me back Friday night.

The other thing I didn't mention was that I played a couple of numbers (harmonica) with that bluegrass group. Wicked good fun worth staying late for!!!

**********************************************************

State Meeting Report
Ros Horton

This Year’s Alabama Beekeeper’s Association annual meeting was the best I’ve attended in three years of going to this event. Ron Sparks, our state Commissioner of Agriculture spoke to us at the opening. He acknowledged the importance of honeybees and pollination and shared how he helped with his grandfather’s bees as a boy. He pointed out that it was Alabama to catch China importing tainted and toxic products to America several years ago when we found their honey contained unlawful chemicals. Many Chinese products since (fish, toys, baby products, etc.) have followed suit. He also announced the state’s intention of setting up our own laboratory for honey and bee related testing.

Dr. Jerry Bromenshenk was our main speaker and he shared the background, techniques and technical development of using honeybees to find landmines. The University of Montana pioneered research in training bees and is working in partnership with civilian companies to do this around the world. This project is close to his heart as it has the potential of saving many lives for many years around the world. The same techniques used to find landmines are being applied to research for finding meth labs and buried human remains.

Another nationally recognized speaker was Dr. Elizabeth Cantrell, a naturopath physician who spoke about the health benefits of honey, stings, etc. This presentation was a bit disappointing to me. Everything she presented was a generic version of the information we received at our September meeting when Lawrence Thompson spoke to us on the same topic.

There were several breakout sessions during the day that included soap making, lip balm and candles. Even though I’ve attended these type workshops before I always learn something new.

Kelley’s, Rossman, Brushy Mountain and Daniel’s Scientific were all present with many products. If nothing else attending a statewide meeting is a great way to save on shipping costs. Many nice door prizes were given out and the day ended with a steak dinner and fine bluegrass music. Even though I was only able to attend the one day, it was well worth the trip and I look forward to going back both days next year on October 10 and 11, 2008.

No comments: