6.18.2014

Forty Cents Left Over

I found myself in a government office not long ago taking care of some government business required of law abiding citizens.  Fortunately there were no pending deadlines that cause long lines so my wait was reasonable.

An tiny elderly black woman sat down beside me who had come in with a relative.  She was modestly dressed and prim at the same time and carried herself with dignity and grace. I was glad to share the wait with this sweet lady.

It was also payday for the employees of that office, and upon opening her check one employee exclaimed, "Thank you Jesus I have money left over after paying the bills!"  (For those from other parts of the US this kind of outburst is common and widely accepted in the south.)

This prompted my new friend to start talking, "That's right.  God makes sure there's always just enough.  I remember paying my bills and having forty cents left over and I was soooooo happy because I had something to put in the offering plate on Sunday. People made fun of me because I was so happy to have that forty cents left over, but I knew I was blessed because God was taking care of me.  There was always just enough!"




Today was bill paying day.  After more bills came in yesterday I knew it would be tough to cover everything, but you know what?  There was just enough.  In fact, there was  six dollars and thirty seven cents left over!

$6.37.  Wow.  Probably the exact same amount adjusted for inflation.  You know, I'm very thankful for it, also for a faithful God, and for a valuable reminder from a dear lady.  Betcha know where that money is going Sunday morning!

No comments: