4.23.2007

I am livid. I am so angry I am seeing red and would stomp somebody's big toe flat had I license to do so.

Medical GREED has prevailed in Dothan, Alabama. The ob-gyn community has shut down the only practicioner in the area who promotes and prescribes bio-identical hormone replacement therapy for women. The word on the street is that they pressured the hospitals to shut out the physicians in her clinic if she didn't cease and desist treating women for hormonal conditions.

Mainstream medicine has always despised alternative medicine. Chiropractors have endured this for years. And the pharmacutical industry has such a grip on this country's economy they routinely and regularly try to discredit herbal and other alternative forms of treatment. In some cases they've even succeeded shutting them down entirely. (This happened with a product that helped cure my friend Mavis of cancer.) It should come as no surprise in our little corner of the state that doctors have successfully shut down a threat to their BMW payments.

I was appalled last year when an ob-gyn asked me if I'd decided how I wanted to be cut up before any test results had come back. There was no problem but it was obvious he'd have been happy to take something out anyway. My friend T.D. cancelled her hysterectomy a couple of days ago when she got wind that her clinic was involved. Her ob-gyn had flat out denied that Premarin could cause breast cancer and had angrily walked out on a patient who asked about bio-identical hormones. Apparently it is a very hot issue and "the establishment" doesn't like it.

Well, it's not going away. We are close enough to Tallahassee that if enough of us start making the pilgrimage to get REAL and SANE healthcare (none of this horse pee stuff) maybe someone will get the idea that women want CHOICES about how they go through menopause. The dr's at Women's Medical Center PC, Dothan OB-Gyn, Ob & Gyn-Dothan, etc. may have silenced and stopped bio-identical HTR for now, but it's not going away. Too many women have heard about it from Suzanne Somers, too many have read about it in health magazines, and many, many have heard about it from someone like myself who has been helped in a profound way.

I'm not going to shut up. And I'm not going to hide my anger about this shameful turn of events. Having an MD behind your name doesn't make you a god nor does it negate sound research or the experience of thousands of women who have been helped. GROW UP. Get a life that doesn't include the automatic removal of a woman's uterus once she finishes childbearing.

No comments: