4.06.2007

Right There all the Time

I lost my kefir ball this week. Talk about a panic. I had run out of milk and had to suspend it until I got more. I remembered putting it in a container with the last couple of tablespoons from the milk carton. But I couldn't remember what I did with it. Not a good thing. A kefir ball is a living thing and can be destroyed by ignorance or neglect. All I could think of was that Mrs. Eleanor would be needing more soon and it may be weeks before I could get another ball from my neice. Thirty six hours had passed and the panic was mounting.

The search started. I tore into every cabinet in the kitchen and pantry. I checked every shelf of both freezers. I stared at the space I last remembered seeing it and tried to remember. Nothing. So the whole search started again, Cabinets, pantry, freezer, prayer; "Where would I have put that thing?" More cabinets, the chest freezer, more prayer. This was a mission. People were counting on me, I couldn't let them down! "What am I going to do?" You'd have thought I lost a baby.

Then I saw it. It was sitting at eye level directly in front of me in the refigerator. It had been there the whole time and I'd actually looked by it, past it above it, or below it seveal times. It stared me in the face but I didn't see it. It was safe in it's little jar just where I'd left it. And it was fine.

How often is God's truth like that in our lives! I know I've missed so much my Savior would have for me because I'm incognizant of the needs He has prepared to meet. Then things hit the fan and I'm not prepared. The Holy Spirit was right there, waiting to empower me and I was looking elsewhere. God the Father desired fellowship, Christ was waiting to intercede, and I missed it. I was looking beside, past, above and below what I needed most. What I need most every moment of every day is HIM. Time in his Word, time in confession, time in worship.

So the kefir ball was found. And I felt stupid. It was right there the whole time.

Lord, let me evermore look to You first and foremost in and for all things in my life. And ye shall seek me and find me when ye shall search for me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:13

No comments: