4.09.2007


Pimping Hollywood (again)

Dan Burrell had mentioned in his 2006 year end observations that the money grubbers in Hollywood were using churches to promote (i.e. pimp) conservative and faith based movies.

It's not just churches. Thanks to some astute PR work the National Honey Board is now enlisted to promote Jerry Senfield's new movie. So what's being promoted here? Is the movie promoting beekeeping and honey products or is it the other way around? Will pimping this movie actually DO anything for beekeeping and beekeepers or will it leave impressionable and sometimes ignorant viewers with huge misperceptions like Disney's Pocohontis did? Will promoting this movie cause people to use more honey? Who stands to make more from this partnership? Will Jerry donate money for CCD research?

Fast food chains have been pimping Hollywood for years. Star Wars and Finding Nemo promotions never prompted me to get a Whopper or Big Mac. Don't get me wrong, I full well intend to see the movie. They'll get my few dollars for a ticket. I may even buy the dvd. I just question what short term or long term benefit we as beekeepers will gain from this.

No comments: