5.29.2007

Memorial Day 2007 was in a word, memorial. It wasn't the typical holiday where you plan to be a bum and do nothing more than pig out all day, but rather we had planned to work and our guests had too. Three of us tackled robbing bees and extracting honey. Others took over in the kitchen and somewhere along the line Norman kidnapped all the young ladies and went horseback riding. The day ended around 10 pm after the guys had done some major destruction to the yard with the tractor and a chain saw and everyone finally tuckered out. We all agreed it was one of the best days ever. There was lots of love, lots of laughter, the company was good and there was lots of good conversation. And yes, there was lots of good food too.

I remember such times from my childhood. Some of my best memories are days on my grandparents farm when the family gathered to butcher a hog. Even though I didn't understand why they wouldn't let me do anything involving a sharp knife I'd be given a job and would do my part. It gave us dignity and a sense of having done something worthwhile. And the talk and jokes with family members forged bonds that have lasted a lifetime.

The family that comes to my house is very different. They're not family of blood but family of kindred spirit brought together by the grace of God. Our work is different too, but I hope and pray that the good part, long after the honey is gone and the grill is rusted, remains a sweet place in our hearts and minds that will go with us forever.

No comments: