5.14.2007



This is Bit. I think the name is short for Little Bit. He is my neighbor Liz's dog up at the shop. Every morning when I pull up he comes out to meet me and we spend a few moments together. He has to be the sweetest dog ever.

The crazy thing is I've never petted him. He won't get close. He started coming up because I offered him treats and graduated to him licking my fingers almost daily now. But that's as far as it goes. I've longed to pet and play and wrestle him a long time. But it won't happen. Our relationship is strictly on his terms and he refuses to get any closer. I can tell he wants to, but something in that doggie psyche stops him.

It occured to me this morning that Bit treats me like I sometimes treat God. God loves us and deeply longs for more. But no, we have to call the shots. We warm up to a point of having to take the plunge to trust more of ourselves to Him and back off. We get as close as actually touching the hem of his garmet and we know He's good and kind and invites us closer, but we back off, afraid of the consequences of going further, locked behind whatever emotional wall we think we're protecting ourselves with.

This is Bit's problem and he will never know the sheer delight of interacting with a human who cares for him. He'll never romp or get his ears or belly rubbed. He's missing out. I stand convicted wondering how much I've missed out on with my God because I've done the same thing.

Lord, help me to never hold out on you but to trust and love you completely. Help me to long for you as much as you long for me to come to you freely and joyfully.

No comments: