1.12.2009

Wild Life

Life around here is usually pretty tame. We've got our routines and all the animals pretty much know what to expect. The cats have their regular times for going in and out. The chickens pretty much leave the coop in the morning, roam all day and go back to the coop at night. The cows and horses have their favorite hangouts and we all exist peacefully together.

Till today! I woke this morning to a ruckus just outside my bedroom window that would wake the dead. The chickens were having a holy fit about something and I made it outside and around the corner just in time to see a hawk flee from a bush the chickens were hiding behind.

Tonight on the way home I saw the biggest, most beautiful buck I've ever seen just beside my pasture fence. I couldn't believe my eyes and slowed down and just stared at him. Obviously I spooked him because he turned around, jumped the barb wire fence and went back into the pasture. I've got a few more days to maybe put him in the freezer.

I was still in shock over the deer when I drove around the corner of the house to my favorite parking place. What should I see but my dear kitty, Stitches, face to face with a possum about double her size. I don't know if she was staring it down or what, but the nasty thing ran like a son of a gun when it saw me. I blessed my kitty for being a good guard cat.

So maybe it's an illusion that things are tame around here, or maybe it's just that it's winter and the wild critters are hungry.

3 comments:

Country Meadows Sews said...

Hope you guys are staying warm we have been in the low single digits here in TN the past few nights. Thanks for the post Mrs. Horton, I thoroughly enjoy reading them!

Ros Horton said...

I didn't realize you were in TN. Norman and I go up every year and spend a week on the Plateau - LOVE it up there. I think if God ever gives us a choice where to move, TN is the first place we'll consider!

Country Meadows Sews said...

I know what you mean, I couldn't imagine living anywhere else especially other than on our land. It has so much potential and not only in just it's beauty. So is Cindy still living in Memphis? We live in Charlotte, TN which is only three hours away from there. Last year when my husband was driving OTR I made several trips up to West Memphis to drop him off at his terminal where he would leave his truck on home time.